Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Cardboard Testimony Service

The Wednesday night before Thanksgiving we had our annual Thanksgiving Eve Service. But it wasn't our normal Thanksgiving service. Normally, about 3-5 people tell their story of what God has done in their lives and what they are thankful for. This year it was different. This year they called it a cardboard testimony service. Our pastor explained that the cardboard testimony service is like when you see a man or a woman on the side of the street and they are holding up a piece of cardboard and it says something to the effect of "I need help", "I need food", etc… He said that when he saw this kind of sign he always wondered what was on the other side. He wondered if they found help and if they got fed. How did God work in their lives? At our Thanksgiving service we had the chance of finding out what was on the other side of the cardboard, how God did work in their lives. People would come on stage and show us one side of the cardboard. It would read something like "My father abandoned me". Then they would turn in over and it would say "My Heavenly Father is there for me". Or "We lost our house" and on the other side it said "But God never left us". The one that stood out the most to me was "I don't know what my future will be. College, etc…" The other side said, "I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord." This one stood out to me because this is the place I am in my life. I don't know what my future is, but I can take assurance in God's Word. Jeremiah 29:11 says, "For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for wholeness and not evil, to give you a future and a hope". We can put our trust in the Lord because we know He knows what he wants for us.

Bible Reading- Jeremiah 29:11

2 comments:

Sarah Shapiro said...

That is a really cool idea. I'm going to remember that every time I see a person holding a sign on the street, and I'm going to remember what God has done for me!

Anonymous said...

Wow! That is great. I know I get overwhelemed by all of the choices and paths I can take. I am glad God has a plan-and not just any plan-the best plan there could ever be for me!

~Rachel