Monday, August 2, 2010

How to study your Bible - Bible Memorization


How to study your Bible - Bible Memorization
JOY Blog put out a survey to see what you would like to see more of in JOY Blog. Two of the responses said that they would like to know how to study their Bible and ways to be consistent with your Bible reading. Over the next few months I am going to try and help you. I am going to give you different ways to study the Bible. I hope one of the ways will work for you.

The way that I have found that is the easiest way for me to study the Bible, yet what may be thought of as the hardest is memorization. I feel God has called me to memorize His word. Now there are different ways to memorize scripture. One way that a lot of people memorize verses is through memorizing a lot of random verses. This is a way to do it and we will talk about that later, but what I am suggesting is to memorize whole passages because this way you are able to understand it better.

The first passage that I memorized was Isaiah 6:1-8. These verses, about Isaiah’s commissioning, have helped to lead me as I have been trying to decide what to do in the future, with college and getting a job. Verse 8 says, “Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, ‘Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?’ And I said, ‘Here am I. Send me!’”. Now the Lord is teaching me how to be His messenger and how to say, “Here am I. Send me!”

The passage that I am working on now is the Sermon on the Mount in Matthew 5-7. This is something that I have probably read several times, but something I haven’t ever really thought that in depth on. Another thing that is interesting in memorizing whole passages is that you memorize things that you would otherwise never memorize. For example, in the Sermon on the Mount, Jesus talks about what murder is. If I hadn’t decided to memorize the whole sermon, I may not have thought about what Jesus is teaching us about that.

Okay, so now you are probably thinking, “Sure, she can do it, but can I?” And the answer is yes you can, too. Now I have only been doing this for part of the summer, but I have already memorized over 30 verses. The way I am doing it is by memorizing one verse a day. Write it down on an index card and carried it with you throughout the day, by the end of the day, you should have it down. If you are doing something long, put it in an index card holder/binder, then you will not lose it as easily.

So give it a try. Start with something like Psalm 1 or something that is short. Get a calendar and put down one verse a day until you are through. Go through the passage as you do this though because you may find some verses are really short and you could do two or some are long and your might need more time. Remember the calendar is simply a tool. Do not get overwhelmed if you do not stay on track. This is something I have found is working for me, but if it doesn’t for you that is fine. We will be talking about more ways to study your Bible in the next couple months.

If you would like more information email me at joyfilledgirls@hotmail.com and I can try to answer any questions you may have or you can just comment below.

You can also check out this website: http://www.janetpope.org/index.html . This is the website of a lady that has memorized whole books of the Bible. She also has a great book to read on the subject and you find more information about her and her book on the website.

I hope you try it and find it as helpful as I do.

No comments: