Monday, March 7, 2011

OTHERS-By Faith...Lisa Tawn Bergren

OTHERS-By Faith...Lisa Tawn Bergren



And the Winner is...
Sarah G.
I hope you enjoy it!!! Email joyfilledgirls@hotmail.com to get your copy.

If anyone else is interested, check out March articles to find out how you can win a copy this month!!! 


This month we have a special author interview!!! And on top of being able to interview an author and have great responses, she has a special surprise for you. Lisa Tawn Bergren's brand new book for teens, Waterfall, is just coming out this month AND we are able to give one away here on the blog!!! Thank you Lisa! If you would like to win it, read through the article and then look at the bottom for more details on how to enter!**


And now may I present... 
Lisa Tawn Bergren!

1."By Faith" is based on Hebrews 11. How do you feel you are living By Faith?
It takes a certain amount of faith to try and make a living as a writer--believing that God has planted a story within your mind that is worthy of publication; believing that you can start with a blank page and write a cohesive story that matters (or get to the end at all!); believing that readers may like it; believing that you're supposed to be doing this even if some people don't like your work; believing that it will sell enough that you can do it again the next time. But I'm also trying to learn how to live my whole life by faith--being SO "sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see" that my entire life becomes one of optimism, hope, assuredness even when difficult circumstances or trials come my way.

2. What were you like as a teenage girl?
Church rat, one of the youth group "backbones," 3.2 GPA, not one of the populars, but with lots of solid friendships, loved books and movies.

3. Tell us about your next book coming out.
WATERFALL is my first YA novel, and it's about two sisters who are transported through time to medieval Italy. There, they find romance, love, and a boatload of danger. They have to fight for their lives--and those they're coming to love--and figure out how to get home. Or even if they want to.



4. Why did you decide to write a book for teen girls?
My eldest daughter, Olivia, was a reluctant reader. I tried and tried to get her to read, but it wasn't until TWILIGHT that she understood how a book could keep you up all night reading. I wanted to give her another read like it--a solid romantic suspense--but without the vampires.

5. Which one of your books is your favorite?
THE BEGOTTEN. I love this medieval time period, and THE BEGOTTEN is about a group of people called by God to affect change in his kingdom. It was epic--bigger than me. It hasn't sold the best, but it still is one of my favorites for sure.
6. Tell us about your salvation story. How did you come to know Jesus?
I've always known Jesus. That's the bonus of being raised in the church and in a Christian family. But after college, I went to be a ski bum for a winter and found I was really, really depressed. I also recognized that I was really far from my faith roots. I had a personal reformation experience, where I was down on my face before God, and he picked me up, dusted me off and sent me from Park City, UT to Jerusalem, Israel, where I stayed for three weeks and got my head and heart back in order. Ever since, he's been first in my life and my relationship deepens with him every year.

7. JOY is a blog for girls. Looking back at where you were to where you are now, what advice would you have given yourself when you were a teenage girl?
Be kind to yourself. Try and see yourself as God sees you--special, treasured, cherished, loved. He sees all the potential in you, what you are now, and what you could be--let him mold you, push you, pull you, pry you open, press you closed so you become all that he created you to be. And what's on the INSIDE of you is way more important than what's on the OUTSIDE. The world focuses on outer appearances, but your father focuses on your heart.

8. How do you balance writing, family, and remain focused on God?
It's a constant battle. I'm getting better at morning devotional time, and a weekly Sabbath rest--at least 2 of 4 weeks--which is an improvement. It helps now that all 3 of my kids are in school. I get them off, take care of home life and marketing stuff in the morning, then write in the afternoons.

9. When did you know you were meant to be a writer?
When I started getting fan mail telling me my books--my little books--were making a big impact on people's lives. Healing. Salvation. Reordering of priorities. Through fiction? Yes, through fiction. That's really God, working through my words. And I think that's pretty miraculous.

A few fun questions:

10. What is the one material thing you wouldn't leave home without?
My laptop.

11. What is the one food you don't think you could live without?
Bread. I really hope I never have to go gluten-free because the gluten-free stuff isn't the yeasty numminess I crave.

12. What is your favorite color?
Green, all shades.

13. What was/were your favorite book and/or movie growing up?
Books: ISLAND OF THE BLUE DOLPHINS, A WRINKLE IN TIME, LITTLE WOMEN, Chronicles of Narnia...as a pre-teen. Then I pretty much leaped to adult novels: GONE WITH THE WIND and THORN BIRDS come to mind. Christian fiction was fairly nonexistent when I was growing up--I'm really glad we offer kids and adults so much more these days. But I did enjoy the Thoenes' books and Frank Peretti's books had a big impact on me too.
Movies: I liked action-packed, epic movies: Star Wars and Indiana Jones, Romancing the Stone, Superman

14. What is/are your favorite book and/or movie now?
Favorite book of 2010: The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society
Favorite movie of 2010: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader

15. Is there anything else you would like to share with teen girls?
There are so many pressures for kids these days--good grades, finding the right friends, figuring out which activities to invest in, Facebook and texting, TV--try and not get too spread out and stressed out. God wants you to live a whole life, a life of deep investment, not just on the surface, and that takes time and energy. See where he's calling you to dial back a bit and give yourself time to grow up into the woman he wants you to be. Invest in him--your relationship with him--through reading the Word, hanging out with Christian friends, reading books about life with him, and figure out how to talk to him. He's your Best Friend--for life. And anything you do to deepen that relationship will only make your life better.

Make sure you check out Lisa's Website and Facebook pages!
Website: http://lisatawnbergren.com/
River of Time FB: http://www.facebook.com/riveroftimeseries
Lisa’ Fan FB Page: http://www.facebook.com/lisa.t.bergren#!/pages/Lisa-Tawn-Bergren/29354438694

**If you would like to win WATERFALL, please comment on the article below and include your name and email and you will be eligible to win.  
(If it does not let you comment, feel free to email: joyfilledgirls@hotmail.com)

6 comments:

Lisa Tawn Bergren said...

Thanks for posting this interview, Mandy, and for being a part of the River of Time Tribe!

Joyce H. said...

I have read the book and it is really good!In it, you will travel back in time and experience a different world of castles, feuding, and medieval mystery! If you don't win the book, go buy one!

Anonymous said...

I want to read it soooooooooooooooooooooooo bad:) Sarah G.

Mandy H said...

Lisa, thank you for doing the interview!

Joyce H.-I agree, the book is great. I just finished reading it, for the third time :)

Sarah G.-You are entered in the drawing!

nursegirl said...

I'll provide some competition for Sarah. :P This might be a good addition to our church library.

Anonymous said...

"God wants you to live a whole life, a life of deep investment, not just on the surface, and that takes time and energy." Ahh, so true!
Arika H.