Wednesday, February 29, 2012

By Faith – Leap Day and a Leap of Faith

By Faith – Leap Day and a Leap of Faith


Here on JOY Blog we talk a lot about living by faith. Part of living by faith is having trust. Part of trusting is taking a “leap of faith.”



I have heard the phrase “leap of faith” many times. Today is Leap Day and I was thinking, “What do you do on Leap Day?” The only things that I could find about Leap Day is that it is the day that women get to ask men out on a date, women can also propose to guys in Leap Year, people born on Leap Day celebrating their quadrennial birthday (one birthday every four years), and that was about it… Honestly, I was disappointed. I was hoping for something big, something exciting…but I didn’t find anything fun.



So I started thinking, “How can I celebrate Leap Day?” “What can I do on this day?” and “How does this apply to my life, especially in my faith walk?”



Then this phrase came to me:



Leap of Faith.



By taking a leap of faith.



When I think about taking a leap of faith, I think a lot about trust. I heard this story one time. There was a little girl in the second story of a house that was on fire. Standing below her, is her dad. He asks her to jump, promising to catch her. He asks her to take a leap of faith, to trust him.



In the same way this little girl has to decide whether or not to take a leap of faith, each of us has to decide whether or not we will take a leap of faith. In our faith walk, there are many times where God gives a choice whether to leap, to jump, or not. For each of us, those times may be different. For some, it may be life decisions or it may be day-to-day decisions. It could be when God asks you to witness and you have to decide whether or not to take a leap of faith. There are big things and little things that can be our specific “leaps”.



2 Corinthians 5:7
We live by faith, not by sight.



The important part of taking a leap of faith is trusting, trusting that God will lead you. You need to trust God and be willing to take those leaps when he calls you to take them. Just like the girl in the fire, you can’t go by what you see, you must walk by faith and not by sight.

How will you take a leap of faith this day/week/month/year? I'd love to hear your answers!


By Mandy H.

1 comment:

MaryLu Tyndall said...

Loved the post, Mandy! Yes, we do live by faith.. but sometimes we forget, don't we? I needed the reminder today that God is in control, not me. My leap of faith this year is to not worry. I always pray about things but then I tend to worry about them. I'm promising God that I will trust Him more, no matter what I see happening all around me. Hugs!