New Year...New Connection
The New Year comes around and you hear all of the talk of New Year resolutions and like me, you are probably thinking, “What resolutions should I make for this new year?”. Well, I want to present you with a resolution, a challenge for the New Year.
Every year around this time, my pastor likes to send out a challenge to our church. That challenge is to read the Bible in a year. This year, he even gave some Bibles away to encourage people to follow through with this idea. I would like to challenge you and encourage you to read your Bible through in a year, or more importantly, simply read it every day.
Before I give you some “helps” for reading your Bible every day, I want to give you some reasons why I think this is a great idea for the New Year.
1. God’s word is a guide for us – Psalm 119:105 “Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.”
2. Jesus is the Word, and so to know Him, you can read the Word. – John 1:1 “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.”
3. It is a great way to connect with your Heavenly Father. Reading the Word of God is like God speaking to you.
4. It can make you wise. “From a child, you have known the holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus!” 2 Timothy 3:15
5. Reading the Bible will equip you for life. “All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness–so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work!” 2 Timothy 3:16-17
Ready for some helps??? Check here!
1. NIV Daily Bible: In Chronological Order (comes in different versions)– This is a Bible that many in my family have used. I really like this one because you read the Bible in order it happened. http://www.christianbook.com/niv-daily-bible-chronological-order-softcover/9780736901987/pd/7596?item_code=WW&netp_id=150799&event=ESRCN&view=details
2. The One Year Bible(comes in different versions) – Each day you will read some of the Old Testament, New Testament, Psalms, and Proverbs. http://www.christianbook.com/esv-one-year-bible-paperback/9781581347081/pd/47081?item_code=WW&netp_id=381676&event=ESRCN&view=details
3. There are many different daily Bibles to help you read everyday. Check our more here: http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/cms_content?page=158600&sp=1003&event=1003SPEL|1774981|1003
Online and Other Resources
1. Our Daily Bread devotionals – are another way to help you read your Bible every day. They have a short passage to read that goes along with the devo and also a Bible in a year plan. You can get these online, in the mail, through email, on your phone, or through podcasts. Check them out here: http://odb.org/
2. 411 God – Is a 60 second phone call that you get every day with a Bible reading on it. http://411god.net/
3. Powered by 4 – is a daily email with a reminder and a short scripture passage and more. Find out more: http://www.backtothebible.org/index.php/P4homepage.html
Bible Reading Plans*
1. Back to the Bible - http://www.backtothebible.org/index.php/Bible-Reading-Guides.html
2. BibleYear.com - http://www.ewordtoday.com/year/
3. Zondervan - http://www.zondervan.com/Cultures/en-US/Product/Bible/Plans.htm?QueryStringSite=Zondervan
4. The One Year Bible - http://www.oneyearbibleonline.com/
*These Bible reading plans offer: 30 day, 60 day, 90 day, 365 day, 3 year, topical, beginning to end, chronological (in order that events happened), historical (in order books were written), Old and New Testament, New then Old, Blended, etc… Hopefully, you can find one to fit you! And if one doesn’t work, don’t give up, keep going or try a new one.
I pray that you can have fun with this and that it will really help you in your relationship with Christ. If you do not know where you are on your walk of faith, this is a great place to start. God will direct your path! Have a Bible-filled, Christ-filled, New Year!
by Mandy H.